Healthcare Analytics Manager
About the Job
Our team is seeking a Healthcare Analytics Manager who will be responsible for building and delivering analytics insights and tools to our internal teams to help create a culture of data-driven decision-making. This individual contributor role is designed to help answer the ‘so what’ type of questions that emerge from Castlight’s broad spectrum of medical cost and behavioral-related data (think wearables and other digital health applications!).
You will define and execute on strategic questions to help our internal teams better understand the impact of our products on employee behaviors, health, and medical cost, which will in turn help them make optimal decisions about how to configure and use our products. This position will require technical skills in analytics, strategic skills in managing ambiguity, and project and stakeholder management experience.
About the Team
Castlight’s Healthcare Analytics team manages a complicated portfolio of work, focused on analyzing the aggregated and normalized claims that power Castlight’s product. The team is responsible for defining the methodologies for internal and external claims-based analyses, informing prioritization of strategic initiatives based on opportunity size, and building tools that be leveraged in other Analytics reporting workstreams.
On a daily basis, you will work across the company to create reporting and analytics deliverables to surprise and delight our many stakeholders. In addition, you will have the opportunity to drive projects across Castlight’s internal teams and build processes behind how Castlight uses and learns from data. We’re a fun, quick-moving team, and we’re looking for someone to help us spread our insights across our organization; our goal is to create a data-driven culture within our business.
In this role you will be on the cutting edge of health and wellness-related analytics. As a platform in the healthcare benefits space, Castlight gathers data from each of its partners in numerous categories, including healthcare claims, activity, sleep, nutrition, biometrics, health risk assessment, brain health, pregnancy, weight management, fitness trackers, and more. This creates the opportunity to aggregate data and deliver insights across health data types that no other health space player has. This individual contributor team member will report directly to the Director of our Healthcare Analytics team.
Business Role and Responsibilities:
- Perform claims-based analyses to quantify Castlight’s current impact and future potential to inform strategic market opportunities and internal roadmaps
- Develop and maintain business reporting and intelligence dashboards to uncover actionable insights for our internal teams and leadership
- Lead analytics-related discussions with key stakeholders and leadership
- Contribute to long-term roadmap objectives and goals based on uncovered insights and opportunities
- Define and implement processes ensure accurate and relevant data is available as our product and organizational data needs evolve
- Manage cross-team data dependencies, including both tracking key dependencies and highlighting risks to data availability or quality
- Deliver ad hoc analytics requests; help internal stakeholders shape questions into something that will produce meaningful & actionable data
Technical Role and Data Tools:
Demonstrated proficiency in multiple of the below areas is preferred, the rest will be learned
- Write complex SQL/MySQL/PostgreSQL queries to extract data from analytics databases
- Use SQL commands to ingest data, create and index new analytics tables
- Write Python scripts to support automation of recurring analytics jobs
- Structure methods to validate the quality of analytics data sources
- Use Gitlab to document queries/codes and interact with other developers
- Create customer-facing reports and dashboards (Tableau Desktop)
- Publish reports/data sources on Tableau Server
- Perform statistical analysis using R programming
- Data toolkit: DataGrip / MySQL Workbench / Gitlab / PyCharm / Airflow / Tableau / R Studio
Who you are:
- Experienced with 3-5 years’ work in healthcare in data-centric role. Experience with predictive analytics preferred
- Experienced in working with medical claims data (background includes health plan, data warehouse, or related experience)
- A quantitative whiz who loves data
- Humble, hungry, and smart. A natural sense of curiosity, and an effective problem solver
- Self-sufficient, ready to roll up your sleeves, and not afraid of ambiguity
- A self-starter that has a demonstrated track record of leading projects from idea to execution
- Able to communicate equally effectively between many different types of stakeholders
One team. On a mission. Making things happen.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Castlight culture values and celebrates different backgrounds, perspectives, and points of view. We believe our diversity helps drive creativity and innovation. We strive to make everyone feel included, valued, and engaged; enable them to do their best work; and build their careers here at Castlight. That is why diversity and inclusion are more than just words to us. Rather, they are a commitment to a culture where employees feel respected and empowered to share their ideas and deliver the best results.
Learn more about our continuing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Castlight is on a mission to make it as easy as humanly possible to navigate healthcare and live happier, healthier, more productive lives. Our health navigation platform connects with hundreds of health vendors, benefits resources, and plan designs, giving rise to the world’s first comprehensive app for all health needs. We guide individuals—based on their unique profile—to the best resources available to them, whether they are healthy, chronically ill, or actively seeking medical care. In doing so, we help companies regain control over rising healthcare costs and get more value from their benefits investments. Castlight revolutionized the healthcare sector with the introduction of data-driven price transparency tools in 2008 and the first consumer-grade wellbeing platform in 2012. Today, Castlight serves as the health navigation platform for millions of people and is a trusted partner to many of the largest employers in the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco, and can be found online at www.castlighthealth.com and on the New York Stock Exchange as CSLT.
Castlight Health provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Castlight Health will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.