At Castlight, our mission is to empower people to make the best choices for their health and to help companies make the most of their health benefits. We offer a health benefits platform that engages employees to make better healthcare decisions and can guide them to the right program, care, and provider. The platform also enables benefit leaders to communicate and measure their programs while driving employee engagement with targeted, relevant communications.
To date, Castlight has partnered with more than 240 large enterprise customers, spanning millions of lives, to improve healthcare outcomes, lower costs, and increase benefits satisfaction.
What you will be doing:
Castlight’s Data Management (DM) – Engineering team is responsible for the end to end management of data lifecycle – from data acquisition (inbound), ingestion and validation, warehousing (reporting and analytics) and data distribution (outbound).
We are looking for seasoned data engineers who have a penchant for problem-solving with a passion for innovation and data quality to join our DM Reporting Team. The candidate must be comfortable dealing with large sets of data, disparate data sources, imperfect data sets and can impact data automation that will remove frictions in data processing. As data volume increases, the candidate must apply deep knowledge in query performance tuning, scalability and optimization to make the appropriate recommendation and help implement solutions.
To succeed in this role, you'll need to be a versatile engineer. You must have an innate desire to build things the right way. You should be pain-averse -- if some process or system isn't as streamlined as it could be, you want to fix it! You will have a lot of interaction with the Customer Success team and other externally facing groups hence verbal and writing communications skills are required. You must be a champion of standardizing and maturing the business process in order to support scalability.
You will be working with cross-functional teams within and outside of the engineering department and with team members in SF and India. This is a full-time position at our San Francisco headquarters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Business Intelligence or Reporting – developing back-end data sources required to support Castlight’s custom-built reporting platform. Must be well-versed in dealing with standard EDW star schema database, aggregate data marts, and other data sources. Familiarity with other OTS (off the shelf) reporting tools is a plus.
- Data Discovery - analyzing data values and data patterns to identify the relationships that link disparate data elements into logical units of information, or “business objects” (such as customer, patient or claim). Identify the transformation rules that have been applied to a source system to populate a target such as transactional entities, operational data store or data warehouse
- Data Architecture and Modeling - Create logical and physical data models, including conceptual models. Define data attributes, including domain constraints and privacy attributes. Discover, explore, and visualize the structure of data sources. Discover or identify relationships between disparate data sources. Compare and synchronize the structure of two data sources
- Data Governance/Stewardship – Record the business use for defined data. Identify opportunities to share and re-use data. Monitors the progress towards, and tuning of, data quality and data security target metrics. Ensures the quality, completeness and accuracy of data definitions. Identifies and manages the resolution of data quality and data security issues, such as uniqueness, integrity, accuracy, consistency, privacy and completeness in a cost-effective and timely fashion. Identify procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Data quality - Ensure the stability, integrity and efficiency of data access and data quality across the organization via ongoing database support and maintenance.
- Database architecture, administration and development - Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures. Participate in testing and implementing database design and functionality, and tuning for performance.
- Metadata - support information governance by providing reporting and traceability on data movement, modeling and business intelligence applications, as required by regulatory requirements. Analyze and view the impact of changes to the current information model, avoiding potentially disruptive modifications to existing processes.
- Customer Implementation and Production Support – Assist Customer Implementation and Production support teams as DM SME during troubleshooting issues.
- Data warehouse (Optional) – Knowledge in developing queries against Enterprise Data Warehouse star scheme is a nice to have. Participate in research and development of recommendations regarding database components, including hardware, database systems, ETL software, metadata management tools and database design solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience (including completed courses in relevant areas such as computer science, computer languages, etc.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles and practices, and hands-on experience with business requirements gathering, analysis, and data modeling
- Strong experience to manage/maintain the database schema in source code control
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Perform peer code review when assigned
- Ability to work independently while working on multiple projects
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, project management (from conception to completion) & planning skills
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting Works on problems of limited to diverse scope involving task specific or cross-functional teams
- Ability to analyze business processes, best practices, data lifecycles, and standard operating procedures
- Applied experience in secure file transfer protocol (sFTP), web services integrations, Salesforce, and JIRA is preferred
Technical Qualifications for a Data Engineer
- 2+ years of experience related work experience within the Healthcare Technology Industry or Insurance Industry; experience working with healthcare payers/carriers in managing provider, claims, medical or patients data strongly desired.
- 2+ years of experience in analyzing and developing data requirements and data specifications; hands-on experience in documenting understanding and analysis of databases and data models.
- 2+ years of experience in developing backend data sources for the reporting and analytics platform.
- 2+years of hands-on experience in writing SQL for querying databases. Ability to extract information from databases using complex query statements and advanced database tools.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in logical data modeling
- 2+ years of hands-on technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers including database tuning and troubleshooting experience
- 2+ years of Informatica or other comparative ETL technology technical skills. Data integration using big-data technologies are ideal (such as Spark/Scala)
- Knowledge of off-the-shelf reporting tool is a plus
- Knowledge of Python or other object-oriented programming language is a big plus
- Knowledge of Greenplum, PostgreSQL or other big data environment is a plus
- Experience with version control tools & release management
Senior Data Engineer
- 5 years of experience meeting all the requirements of a Data Engineer
- 2+ years of project coordination/management background is required
- 1+ years of team leadership and mentoring experience are required
Lead Data Engineer
- 7 years of experience meeting all the requirements of a Data Engineer
- 5+ years of project planning/management background is required
- 5+ years of team leadership/management and mentoring experience are required
One team. On a mission. Making things happen.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Castlight culture values and celebrates different backgrounds, perspectives, and points of view. We believe our diversity helps drive creativity and innovation. We strive to make everyone feel included, valued, and engaged; enable them to do their best work; and build their careers here at Castlight. That is why diversity and inclusion are more than just words to us. Rather, they are a commitment to a culture where employees feel respected and empowered to share their ideas and deliver the best results.
Learn more about our continuing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Castlight is on a mission to make it as easy as humanly possible to navigate healthcare and live happier, healthier, more productive lives. Our health navigation platform connects with hundreds of health vendors, benefits resources, and plan designs, giving rise to the world’s first comprehensive app for all health needs. We guide individuals—based on their unique profile—to the best resources available to them, whether they are healthy, chronically ill, or actively seeking medical care. In doing so, we help companies regain control over rising healthcare costs and get more value from their benefits investments. Castlight revolutionized the healthcare sector with the introduction of data-driven price transparency tools in 2008 and the first consumer-grade wellbeing platform in 2012. Today, Castlight serves as the health navigation platform for millions of people and is a trusted partner to many of the largest employers in the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco, and can be found online at www.castlighthealth.com and on the New York Stock Exchange as CSLT.
Castlight Health provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Castlight Health will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.