Last Updated: September 2, 2021
What is a cookie and what is it used for?
Cookies are small text files transferred from a website and stored in your browser to allow the website to identify a user’s device and inform the website if your browsing device has visited them before. Generally, cookies are used to improve the website and user experience, while providing information on the user’s activity. Although there are various types of cookies, traditionally, websites contain first and/or third party cookies. Castlight only uses first party cookies to remember user preferences and better understand visitor behavior. Because third party cookies point to websites other than the one users intend to visit and are generally used for online-advertising, Castlight does not use third party cookies on Castlight Sites in an effort to provide greater transparency, choice and control over how user and visitor information is stored.
We use first party cookies on the Castlight Health Corporate Websites for the following purposes:
- To make the Castlight Health Corporate Websites function properly.
- To improve the Castlight Health Corporate Websites.
- To track your interaction with the Castlight Health Corporate Websites.
- To enhance your experience with the Castlight Health Corporate Websites.
- To remember information you have already provided.
- To collect information about your activities over time in order to deliver content tailored to your interests.
- To provide a secure browsing experience during your use of the Castlight Health Corporate Websites.
The length of time a cookie will stay on your browsing device depends on whether the cookie is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies will only stay on your device until you stop browsing. Persistent cookies stay on your browsing device until they expire or are deleted. The following types of First Party cookies are used on the Castlight Sites:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are essential because they enable you to use the Castlight Sites. For example, strictly necessary cookies allow you to access secure areas of the Castlight Sites and for us to provide the Sites. These cookies do not gather information about you for marketing purposes. This category of cookies is essential for the Castlight Sites to work and they cannot be disabled.
- Functionality/Preference cookies. We use functional cookies to remember your choices so we can tailor the Castlight Sites to provide you with enhanced features and personalized content. For example, these cookies can be used to remember your name or preferences on the Castlight Sites. We do not use functional cookies to target you with online marketing. While these cookies can be disabled, this may result in less functionality during your use of the Castlight Sites. Castlight uses first party cookies from Hotjar, SiteSpect, Optimizely, and Google Analytics to accomplish this analysis.
- Performance or Analytical cookies. These cookies collect passive information about how you use the Castlight Sites, including webpages you visit and links you click. We use the information collected by such cookies to improve and optimize the Castlight Sites. We do not use these cookies to target you with online marketing. You can disable these cookies.
A user has the ability to disable cookies through their browser at any point. Disabling cookies may affect their experience on the Website. You can enable, disable or delete cookies via your browser settings. To do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser, usually located within the “Help”, “Tools”, or “Edit” settings of your browser. Many browser manufacturers provide helpful information about cookie management, including, but not limited to: Google Chrome; Internet Explorer; Mozilla Firefox; Safari (desktop or mobile); Android Browser, and Opera.
Castlight Health, Inc.,
150 Spear Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94105
Attn: Privacy Office